ACADEMIC AND PRACTICAL WAR STUDIES BACKGROUND
The summary below lists practical and academic War Studies experience areas.
Academic qualifications BA (Hon), German Staff College (Psc GE), German language interpreter.
Counter – Insurgency Warfare.
- Planned and conducted counter insurgency operations against the Provisional Irish Republican army (PIRA) during 1970s-80s at platoon, company and battalion level. (In South Armagh and Belfast Northern Ireland).
- Counter-propaganda/Psychological Operations role as Colonel G3 Information Operations with the NATO stabilisation Force (SFOR) in Sarajevo, Bosnia 1997.
- Historical: conducted battlefield tour Warsaw Uprising 1944 in Warsaw Poland.
- Operations Liaison Officer with VII US Corps for DESERT SHIELD and DESERT STORM during the Coalition invasion of Iraq in 1991. (The First Gulf War).
- Extensive experience of platoon, company and battalion operations in North West Europe and the Arctic during the Cold War with the British Army of the Rhine (BAOR) and Norway 1970s-1980s.
- Historical: conducted US Civil War battlefield tours at Fredericksburg, Chancerllorsville and Gettysburg and the Second World War battles at Moscow 1941, Stalingrad 1942-3 and Kursk 1943.
- Parachute Operations with the Leading Parachute Battalion Group (LPBG) at company and battalion level for all phases of war including Service Protected Evacuations (SPE) in the 1980s and 1990s.
- Trained South African Forces for Peace-Keeping operations in Burundi and the Congo.
- Historical: conducted battlefield tours of the Zulu and both Boer Wars in South Africa and the Indian Wars in the USA.
- Parachute operations, conventional, arctic and mountain and Out of Area (i.e. beyond Europe).
- Historical: conducted battlefield tours for World War II operations including: Eben-Emael Belgium 1940, Calais/Dunkirk 1940, Crete 1941, Normandy (airborne and sea-borne) landings and MARKET-GARDEN (Southern Holland and Arnhem) in 1944.